Monday, December 21, 2009

Dinner is in the ktichen

Drew Barrymore Vintage Picture Pictures, Images and Photos

Greetings my friends.....this blog is way over due...I check in often but have written little.

Today on my thirft store venture I picked up a 50. New England Meals cookbook. I think it was published in 1966. Many of the recipes brought back memories.

When I was a kid I lived in North Kingstown RI. Eating snow and licking icicles from frozen branches was the norm. After playing outside all day it was wonderful to come home to find a wonderful New England style pot roast in one of those huge black roasting pans. I remember the meat was tied ld together with strings. What a delight to come home with the house smelling of dinner that had been simmering all day in the oven. My mother truly outdid herself on those special days when a Yankee pot roast meal awaited.

The New England cookbook afforded this great recipe .......................................................................

1 tablspoon fat or cooking oil

3-4 pounds pot roast of beef-rump or bottem round

2 teaspoons salt

1/8th teaspoon pepper

Boiling water

4 medium size onions, peeled

8 small carrots, scraped

4 medium size potatoes, pared

3 tablespoons flour

Heat the fat in a Dutch oven or sauce pot. Brown the meat well on all sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper: pour in about 1 cup water.

Cover and simmer about 21/2 hours or until the meat is almost tender, adding more water as necessary.

Add the onions and cook, covered, 19 minutes. Add the carrots and potatoes: cook 30 to 35 minutes longer or untill the meat and vegetables are tender. Remove them to a heated platter.

Measure the pan juices and add water, if necessary to make 1 1/2 cups liquid. Blend the flour with a little cold water. Stir the flour mixture into the hot liquid. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly,until thickened.

4 servingswith meat for a second meal.

My mother did not possess a dutch oven so she would instead put everything in a huge roasting pan with a lid and let it simmer slowly all day long. Nothing tasted so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.....................................

My photo
I love shabby,used,chipped,white,old,vintage, antique,junky gently loved stuff. I would love to dumpster dive but I could get a citation from the county. I adore my dogs, my grand kids and bathing in my tub outside. I am sensitive, eager to make friends although self conscious about it. I am faithful and very very generous at heart. I cry over stuff sentimental and sweet. I adore April Cornell clothing (although I can't afford her stuff)and anything sheer and vintage and loose. I'd live in my pj's and never ever wear a bra again. I love the beach and dancing in public places with my grand darlings and day time babies. I adore my kids and love my hubby although I could kill him a time or two. Yard sales and thrift stores are my died and gone to heaven activities. I love to spend money on these but usually am broke.