Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gift Baskets on the cheap

This past Christmas proved tight...with money that is.  So ... I created gift baskets on the cheap.
Nearly every component  came from the Dollar Tree with the exception of the thirft- store pier 1 plates and coffee mugs.  They were puchased some time back at a thrift store.  The basket itself was a 2.00  find at the thrift store too.  A fresh coat of glossy black $1.00  paint made her brand new again.  The first basket theme was coffee and chocolate.  It was filled too the brim with lots of goodies.  I even tucked some home-made soap with a chocolate/coffee hue inside and a new dish towel.  Scattered here and there you can see some of the embelllishments with candy canes, rustic potporri balls and some ornamental touches of holly and green tassels.
The second basket was a Tuscarorian Theme.  Pasta, black Olives, garlic, italian herb, sea-salt and pepper, spreads, italian wafers, pasta ladle, cutting board, italain cookbook, wooden spoons ect ect.  Again everything came from the Dollar tree with the exception of the baskets.  I did'nt spray paint the basket as I wanted to reflect a natural look.  I made a twin basket that also included  4 green long stemmed wine glasses and an embellished candle with a glass calabra all spiffed up with Vintage embellishments.  The Italian baskets went too my son and his wife. 
I love making gift baskets and find it richely rewarding and creative.  The fact that they were so reasonable to put together made it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.....................................

My photo
I love shabby,used,chipped,white,old,vintage, antique,junky gently loved stuff. I would love to dumpster dive but I could get a citation from the county. I adore my dogs, my grand kids and bathing in my tub outside. I am sensitive, eager to make friends although self conscious about it. I am faithful and very very generous at heart. I cry over stuff sentimental and sweet. I adore April Cornell clothing (although I can't afford her stuff)and anything sheer and vintage and loose. I'd live in my pj's and never ever wear a bra again. I love the beach and dancing in public places with my grand darlings and day time babies. I adore my kids and love my hubby although I could kill him a time or two. Yard sales and thrift stores are my died and gone to heaven activities. I love to spend money on these but usually am broke.