Friday, July 17, 2009

Ragging A Round

Do you have some scrap material laying around the house? Years ago when my daughter was a baby I had very limited resources in the money department. I wanted to do something very homespun and creative however. I "Hooked" up with a lady who was teaching rag rug crochet. Wooden crochet hooks and torn scrap material fit my budget nicely.
Since then I have found a combination of interesting factors ... crocheting with plastic Wall Mart bags (or any other type of plastic bags). I incorporate fuu fuu yarn with the bags whether using cotton or plastic usually finding the yarn at the Dollar Tree.
I am not extremely talented with crochet but I can do the basic stitches required to make a useful and attractive rug.
Recycling is the key word here and so the pictures below attest to my efforts with some added video on the how to's of. I did find another unique way to keep the bags in one continues strip without joining as often. If you go on YouTube you'll find the technique .. unfortunately the video was disabled so I did not post it here.
Joining can't be avoided completely however. The process is shared in the video below. I've not sold any of my rugs as I can never part with them when finished.



(a bit of background noise in this .. sorry...ps ... this is not me)

No comments:

Post a Comment

.....................................

My photo
I love shabby,used,chipped,white,old,vintage, antique,junky gently loved stuff. I would love to dumpster dive but I could get a citation from the county. I adore my dogs, my grand kids and bathing in my tub outside. I am sensitive, eager to make friends although self conscious about it. I am faithful and very very generous at heart. I cry over stuff sentimental and sweet. I adore April Cornell clothing (although I can't afford her stuff)and anything sheer and vintage and loose. I'd live in my pj's and never ever wear a bra again. I love the beach and dancing in public places with my grand darlings and day time babies. I adore my kids and love my hubby although I could kill him a time or two. Yard sales and thrift stores are my died and gone to heaven activities. I love to spend money on these but usually am broke.