Monday, August 2, 2010

Rag Rug Pink

Rhythmically running a fat crochet hook in and out between the folds of cotton material is a joy to the senses.  Sheets that are so soft from repeated washings are easy to tear and slide like silk on the needle.  Oh .. did I say thrifty too? What could be more relaxing and productive?  Often thrift stores will sell sheets on the cheap especially if they have a rip here and there.  I like to take an old enamel pot filled with water and get it boiling hot.  I then add oxy clean, cloths detergent and bleach.  I swirl the sheet into the hot water and let it soak for several hours or longer.  Then into the washing machine for a regular wash and rinse.  I do all of this to be on the safe cause you never know where your sheet may have been.
          (I know it's a yuk yuk thought but lets be real).  After a run through the dryer...(I actually enjoy letting the sun and wind snap my sheets dry) they are now ready to be torn into strips. I like my rugs to be on the shabby side.  I do not sew my strips together but rather use a technique of joining that does not require much effort.  I think I may do a video tutorial on this whole craft in the near future.  If I get enough interest I may do a give away at the end of the tutorial. 
Random touches of Pink
The finished rug.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.....................................

My photo
I love shabby,used,chipped,white,old,vintage, antique,junky gently loved stuff. I would love to dumpster dive but I could get a citation from the county. I adore my dogs, my grand kids and bathing in my tub outside. I am sensitive, eager to make friends although self conscious about it. I am faithful and very very generous at heart. I cry over stuff sentimental and sweet. I adore April Cornell clothing (although I can't afford her stuff)and anything sheer and vintage and loose. I'd live in my pj's and never ever wear a bra again. I love the beach and dancing in public places with my grand darlings and day time babies. I adore my kids and love my hubby although I could kill him a time or two. Yard sales and thrift stores are my died and gone to heaven activities. I love to spend money on these but usually am broke.