Tuesday, May 1, 2012

rocker glider redo on the cheap

You can see the images from a sweet children's book I
used too unisex the chair.  They are so vintage and cute.


Her is the chair with her coverings that can be removed and washed.
I don't have the skills to redo the pillows so I came up with this
covering.  It was a lovely waffle shower curtain that
I cut and put a sweet shabby rose trim on from another piece
of material. 
Here she sits looking a bit sad

I purchased this reject for $20.00.
Her rungs were loose , she smelled like
a stale ash-stray and she was a
horrible brown.
The pillow cushions were in great shape otherwise ..
no tears or damage.
They (the cushions) were washed and came out fresh and
intact.
Our new grand-darling was due soon.
Looking around became depressing...these
new chairs varied so much in price from 500.00
down too 159.00 or so.  The cheaper chairs did not
look like they would hold up under stress.
The second hand rockers were high in price too.

This rocker cost 20.00 from an online local re-sale site.  The supplies included white wash paint from Sherwin Williams and other paints in soft moss green.
I also used acrylic in soft greens, blues and rose.
Basically I cleaned the wood, sanded it, reinforced it with wood glue, washed the pillows and slapped on a white
 base coat to cover the brown.  After it dried I rubbed with an old cloth some
of the moss green in a slap stick fashion.  I merely layered softly several of my
colors to give it a washed out effect ... nothing special or fancy.
I used several colors so I could have a unisex finish.  I wanted
the finished product to look shabby.







No comments:

Post a Comment

.....................................

My photo
I love shabby,used,chipped,white,old,vintage, antique,junky gently loved stuff. I would love to dumpster dive but I could get a citation from the county. I adore my dogs, my grand kids and bathing in my tub outside. I am sensitive, eager to make friends although self conscious about it. I am faithful and very very generous at heart. I cry over stuff sentimental and sweet. I adore April Cornell clothing (although I can't afford her stuff)and anything sheer and vintage and loose. I'd live in my pj's and never ever wear a bra again. I love the beach and dancing in public places with my grand darlings and day time babies. I adore my kids and love my hubby although I could kill him a time or two. Yard sales and thrift stores are my died and gone to heaven activities. I love to spend money on these but usually am broke.